Rene A. Sotorrio has represented hundreds of individuals and entities charged with crimes in over 30 years of practice. He has represented high-profile clients directly and effectively in more than 20 federal, state and international jurisdictions. Some of his more notable cases include*:
- Representation in the Dominican Republic of a U.S. citizen arrested for importation via private plane of multiple kilograms of cocaine. Client release procured.
- Representation in multinational fraud investigation of the principal of French yacht charter company in the West Indies. Client never arrested.
- Representation of Spanish national in multiple jurisdiction tax evasion investigation of multinational computer import and export company. Client never charged.
- Representation of U.S. extradition petition to Spain for the fugitive principal of major United States health organization. Extradition denied.
- Representation of the former vice-minister of the economy of Spain in major investigation for alleged fraudulent business practices. Client cleared of all culpability. Resulted in the arrest and prosecution of corrupt Spanish investigative magistrates and accomplices who initiated client’s prosecution.
- Representation of internationally renowned professional athlete charged with firearms violation in Mexico. Client freed.
- Representation of preeminent international preacher and evangelist in 30-year-old triple homicide cold case in California. All charges dismissed.
- Representation of principal defendant in the largest cocaine conspiracy in the history of the State of California at the time of the prosecution’s initiation, popularly known as the “La Corporation” case. The conspiracy involved the countries of Bolivia, Mexico and the United States. Rene A. Sotorrio represented the lead defendant at the trial and appellate levels. He procured the reversal of the client’s conviction, and the defendant was freed. This case is memorialized in the book Deep Cover written by the former DEA agent who testified at trial and subsequently revealed the withholding of exculpatory evidence by federal authorities in San Diego, California.
- Representation of one of principal defendants in U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, notorious series of cases known as the “Miami River Cops” case. Rene A. Sotorrio’s client received the most lenient sanction of all charged.
- Acquittal of second-degree murder charges of a student prosecuted for a highway shooting in Dade County, Florida, known in the national media as the “Road Rage” case. Client acquitted of all charges at trial.
- Representation of client charged with the murder of her 18-month-old child 28 years after the fact — one of Miami, Florida’s most publicized cases. Rene A. Sotorrio procured client’s liberty on bond shortly after her extradition from New York and negotiated a probationary plea to lesser charges.
White collar crimes
- Representation of one of the principals in the popularly denominated Miami International Airport Public Corruption prosecution by the Dade County State Attorney’s office. Client successfully negotiated probation.
By reviewing the information on this website, you acknowledge the following disclaimer:
- The facts and circumstances of your case may differ from the matters in which results and testimonials have been provided.
- All results of cases handled by The Law Offices of Rene A. Sotorrio, P.A. are not provided and not all clients have given testimonials.
- The results and testimonials provided are not necessarily representative of results obtained by The Law Offices of Rene A. Sotorrio, P.A. or of the experience of all clients or others with The Law Offices of Rene A. Sotorrio, P.A. Every case is different, and each client's case must be evaluated and handled on its own merits.
*Citations omitted in order to protect client confidentiality.